the unraveling


"at first i was afraid, i was petrified.."



life is full of twists and turns. they are scary because most of the time, nothing prepares us for them.

*******

who would have thought that less than a year into my new job, i would resign? i thought that when i came back to hong kong last december (after packing my things exactly a year earlier), i would be in a job that will be my last until i retire. i wanted it to last this time. so i worked doubly hard, even harder than when i started in my journalism career nearly twenty years ago (when all i wanted was to be lyk my hero and idol ninoy, be a journalist and report what's happening in the country, be able to contribute to the public debate on issues that affect us all).
oh yes dahlins, i was once an idealist. what can i say? i was young and wanted to help uplift the country after more than twenty years of devastation under martial law.

^^^^^^^^^

but things happened.
and here i am. in a week's time, i will be out of job. again. i will be starting from scratch once more - checking jobs online, asking friends if they know of anyone looking for a reporter or a writer. going for interviews. reviewing. anticipating the questions in advance.
honestly, i hate this part of job hunting. the interview process. i always wish that i can get a job based on what i have already written and published.
but it doesn't work that way.
i am no hemingway, after all. chos!


&&&&&

it's unnerving to say the least.
it's even harder because i am a congenital worrier and paranoid (i got it from my father. may he rest in peace). i have been independent since i finished college (i never asked a cent from my parents since then, even when i lost jobs, kicked out from the tiny room i was renting because i failed to pay the rent on time, hungry and in debt) and i always worry that if i stay jobless for so long, i would have to swallow my pride and be forced to borrow money from my family.
thank god it hasn't happened yet.
i hope it stays that way.

$$$$$$$

so the new adventure begins.
another door is closing and i am hoping another one opens. soon. as janice de belen once said: when god closes a door, he leaves the refrigerator open to cool us down. hahahaa.
i don't have any prospect yet. i have sent out applications and cvs to several publications here and abroad. i am keeping my fingers crossed that one of them will at least merit the editor's attention, enough for her/him to grant me an interview. at least.

%%%%

so what am i looking for? i want something that is new, stimulating, challenging. i want it to be exciting and fun, not too technical unlike bonds (basis points, swaps, spreads) and boring as hell. in short, i want it to be lyk my ideal boyfriend. chos!
as i told my bff earlier, i want my next job to be permanent because i am tired of being the elizabeth taylor of business journalism. marrying someone after a whirlwind romance only to end up divorced a few months after, then seeking another lover afterwards.

*******

certainly, i  feel blessed that some of my friends are helping me cope with it - boosting my morale because frankly i feel so down lately, sending me job openings, taking me out to dinner, drinking and dancing the night away, or by simply asking the simple thing: "kumusta ka na? "
they are appreciated, of course. they will always be remembered.
as my mother used to tell me - "you will know who your real friends are once you are down and out."
by now, i know who they are. i feel truly blessed for having them around. through thick and thin. that's why i only have few friends. i have let go of the fair-weather ones a long time ago. (i am sure they did the same to me. hahahaa!)
triple chos!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

philippine cinema's best actresses

one fyn day

filipino women on the verge of.....greatness